Section 13A-11-70. Definitions.
For the purposes of this division, the following terms shall have the respective meanings ascribed by this section:
(1) COMMISSION. The Alabama Justice Information Commission.
(2) CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT or PISTOL PERMIT. A permit to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his or her person within the state.
(3) CRIME OF VIOLENCE. Any of the following crimes or an attempt to commit any of them, namely, murder, manslaughter, (except manslaughter arising out of the operation of a vehicle), rape, mayhem, assault with intent to rob, assault with intent to ravish, assault with intent to murder, robbery, burglary, and kidnapping. “Crime of violence” shall also mean any Class A felony or any Class B felony that has as an element serious physical injury, the distribution or manufacture of a controlled substance, or is of a sexual nature involving a child under the age of 12.
(4) HONORABLY DISCHARGED VETERAN. An individual honorably discharged from active duty in the Army, the Navy, the Marine Corps, the Air Force, the Space Force, or the Coast Guard of the United States, or any reserve or National Guard component of the United States Armed Forces, as evidenced by his or her DD Form 214, Record and Report of Separation Honorable Discharge Record, or other applicable documentation.
(5) LIFETIME CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT or LIFETIME CARRY PERMIT. A concealed carry permit that is valid for the lifetime of the permit holder.
(6) PERSON. Such term includes any firm, partnership, association, or corporation.
(7) PISTOL. Any firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches in length.
(8) RETIRED MILITARY VETERAN. An individual who is a retiree from active duty in the Army, the Navy, the Marine Corps, the Air Force, the Space Force, or the Coast Guard of the United States, or any reserve or National Guard component of the United States Armed Forces.(9) SERVICE MEMBER. An individual who is in military service and is a member of the armed services or reserve forces of the United States or a member of the Alabama National Guard.