WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Wisconsin

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of December 14, 2023

What happens if I move?

If you move anywhere in the U.S., your domestic abuse injunction will still be valid. You might want to call the clerk of the court that issued your injunction to change your address. However, if you are moving to an address that the abuser does not know about, be sure to tell the clerk that your new address is confidential. If you move to a new county within Wisconsin, you may also want to contact the court clerk in that county to make sure that they have a copy of your restraining order on file, and that the police are aware of it as well. Check the list of Wisconsin Courthouse Locations for contact information for the clerk of courts.

If you move outside of Wisconsin, federal law provides what is called “full faith and credit,” which means that once you have a criminal or civil restraining or protection order, it follows you and is enforceable wherever you go, including U.S. territories and tribal lands. However, each state has its own laws and procedures.

Any person with a valid injunction (an order that has not expired) who relocates to another state may want to inquire at a court or with law enforcement agency for instructions on the registration and enforcement of orders in that state. You may also call the National Center on Protection Orders and Full Faith & Credit (1-800-903-0111) for information on enforcing your order in another state.

See Moving to Another State with a WI Restraining Order for more information.