WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Washington


View all
December 3, 2020

If the judge won't give me time with my child, does s/he have to explain why?

If a parent or guardian asks for shared parenting time of a child and the judge denies the request, the judge will usually put the reasons s/he denied your request on the court record. A judge can put his/her reasons on the court record by either stating his/her reasoning to you during a court hearing or by putting the reasons in writing.