WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Washington


View all
December 3, 2020

Can I change the state where the case is being heard?

Maybe.  If you move to another state, you may be able to change the state where your custody case is being heard.  You will have to ask the judge that is hearing the case to change the venue or location of your case.  Sometimes your “home state” will allow another state to hear the case instead.1  However, before moving out of state, please talk to a lawyer for advice on whether or not this would be permitted based on your custody order.  Generally, a parent may have to get permission from the judge to move out of state.

Changing the state where a case is being heard is often complicated, and as with all custody issues, we recommend that you talk to a lawyer.  See WA Finding a Lawyer for legal assistance listings and for general information on changing the location of a court case, go to our Changing a final custody order section.

1 R.C.W. § 26.27.201