WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Utah

Restraining Orders

View all
November 19, 2020

Can I have my out-of-state protective order changed, extended, or canceled in Utah?

Generally, only the state that issued your protective order can change, extend, or cancel the order. You cannot have this done by a court in Utah.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. Find out if this is possible in your state by calling the clerk of the court that issued your order. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Order page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Utah, you may be able to get a new one issued in Utah but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Utah. To find out more information on how to get a protective order in Utah, visit our UT Restraining Orders page.