WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Texas

Statutes: Texas

View all
November 4, 2020

91.003. Information Provided by Medical Professionals

A medical professional who treats a person for injuries that the medical professional has reason to believe were caused by family violence shall:

(1) immediately provide the person with information regarding the nearest family violence shelter center;(2) document in the person’s medical file:

(A) the fact that the person has received the information provided under Subdivision (1); and

(B) the reasons for the medical professional’s belief that the person’s injuries were caused by family violence; and

(3) give the person a written notice in substantially the following form, completed with the required information, in both English and Spanish:

“It is a crime for any person to cause you any physical injury or harm even if that person is a member or former member of your family or household.“NOTICE TO ADULT VICTIMS OF FAMILY VIOLENCE“You may report family violence to a law enforcement officer by calling the following telephone numbers: ____________________________________________________.“If you, your child, or any other household resident has been injured or if you feel you are going to be in danger after a law enforcement officer investigating family violence leaves your residence or at a later time, you have the right to:“Ask the local prosecutor to file a criminal complaint against the person committing family violence; and“Apply to a court for an order to protect you. You may want to consult with a legal aid office, a prosecuting attorney, or a private attorney. A court can enter an order that:“(1) prohibits the abuser from committing further acts of violence;“(2) prohibits the abuser from threatening, harassing, or contacting you at home;“(3) directs the abuser to leave your household; and“(4) establishes temporary custody of the children or any property.“A VIOLATION OF CERTAIN PROVISIONS OF COURT-ORDERED PROTECTION MAY BE A FELONY.


(back to top)