WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Texas

Texas Crimes

Laws current as of
November 5, 2020


Even if you do not qualify for a family violence protective order or a sexual assault or abuse, stalking, or trafficking protective order, the abuser may have committed a crime. If you call the police, they may arrest him/her for a crime and you may get a restraining order through the criminal court. Remember that even if you do have a protective order, you can still report him/her to the police if you believe s/he committed a crime against you.

If the abuser has misused technology in a way that you believe may be a crime, go to our Abuse Using Technology section to learn what types of behaviors are covered under criminal state laws.

What are some crimes that the abuser may have committed in Texas?
If I am the victim of a crime, where can I get additional help in Texas?

What are some crimes that the abuser may have committed in Texas?

Here is a list of some possible crimes in Texas that the abuser may have committed. You can click on the links to read the legal definition of the crime in our State Statutes page:

If I am the victim of a crime, where can I get additional help in Texas?

For more information on victims’ services, rights, and resources in Texas, you can contact the Victim Services Division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice or by telephone at (800) 848-4284.

Additionally, the Office of the Attorney General of Texas provides information on Crime Victim Compensation and additional resources on their Crime Victim Services website.

You may also be eligible to participate in the Address Confidentiality Program (“ACP”) if your address is confidential. Through the ACP, you can use a state-provided P.O. box address whenever you need to give out your address and have the office of the attorney general forward you mail and accept service of court paperwork on your behalf. Your mail and paperwork will then be sent to your confidential address. For information on how to apply, go to the Texas Attorney General’s website.

You may learn more about crimes by calling your local police department, sheriff’s department, or district attorney’s office. See our TX Sheriff Departments page for the contact information for your local sheriff’s department.

If you are a victim of domestic violence and have been charged with a crime, you can go to our Battered Women Charged with Crimes page.

Other organizations for victims of crime are listed on our National Organizations - Crime Victims page.