WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Texas


View all
November 5, 2020

I am the child's sibling. Can I get access to the child (visitation)?

A sibling who is at least 18 years old can file a petition for access to a minor child. However, if the siblings are separated due to an action by the Department of Family and Protective Services, the sibling who is seeking access does not have to be 18 years old; s/he can file at any age. The judge will grant the sibling’s request if it is in the best interest of the child.1

1 Tex. Fam. Code §§ 102.0045; 153.551