WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Texas


View all
November 5, 2020

Can I change the state/county where the case is being heard?

Possibly, although there are many factors that a judge will consider when deciding whether or not to transfer a case to another state.  To read more, go to our general Custody page and read our Changing a final custody order section.  Please visit our TX Finding a Lawyer page for legal help if you have already moved out of state (with court permission) and are now seeking to transfer your case to that new state.

If you move to another county within Texas, you may be able to transfer the case to that new county.  A judge can grant your request if the child has lived in that county for at least 6 months and if the judge believes that it is more convenient for the parties and witnesses.1 

1 Tex. Fam. Code § 155.202