WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: North Dakota

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of December 28, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in North Dakota?

Generally, only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order. You likely cannot have this done by a court in North Dakota.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living.  To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the “How to Get a Restraining Order” page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in North Dakota, you may be able to get a new one issued in North Dakota but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in North Dakota. To find out more information on how to get a protective order in North Dakota, visit our The steps for obtaining a domestic violence protection order section.