WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Montana

Restraining Orders

View all
May 1, 2019

In which county can I file for an order of protection?

You can file a petition in the county where you live, in the county where the abuser lives, or in the county where the abuse took place.  There is no minimum length of residency required to file a petition.1  To figure out which type of court to file in, please see our Steps for obtaining an order of protection section.

1 Mont. Code § 40-15-301(4)