WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Montana

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of December 20, 2023

What happens if I move?

Federal law provides what is called “full faith and credit,” which means that once you have an order of protection, it follows you wherever you go in the United States, including U.S. territories and tribal lands.

Different states have different rules for enforcing out-of-state orders.  In some states, it may make it easier to enforce an order that is registered in the new state.  You can find out about your new state’s policies by contacting a domestic violence program, the clerk of courts, or the prosecutor in your new area.  To read more about moving out of Montana with an order of protection, please visit our Moving to Another State with a Montana Order of Protection page.