WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Montana

Restraining Orders

View all
December 20, 2023

What can I do if the abuser violates the order?

If you believe that the abuser has violated the order of protection, you can call 911. If the police arrive and believe the abuser has violated the order, the abuser can be arrested. It can be against the law to violate a temporary or permanent order of protection. When the police arrive, it may be a good idea to write down the name of the responding officers and their badge numbers in case you want to follow up on your case. Make sure a police report is filled out, even if no arrest is made. If you have legal documentation of all violations of the order, it may help you have the order extended or modified in the future.

For more information about contempt, including the difference between criminal contempt and civil contempt, go to our general Domestic Violence Restraining Orders page.