WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Montana

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of December 20, 2023

How do I register my out-of-state protection order in Montana?

You can either bring a certified copy of your order directly to the Department of Justice or you can bring a certified copy to a courthouse or to any local law enforcement agency and ask them to register the order with the department of justice for you. In addition, you will need to file an affidavit stating that, to the best of your knowledge, the order is currently in effect.

Please note that if your order is inaccurate or if it has expired, it will be removed from Montana’s registry. After your order has been registered in Montana, the Department of Justice will provide you with a certified copy of the registered order. The order will also be entered into the National Crime Information Center Registry (NCIC).1 

If you need help registering your protection order, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Montana for assistance. You can find contact information for organizations in your area on our MT Advocates and Shelters page.

1 Mont. Code § 40-15-405