Legal Information: Kansas


June 21, 2021

Do I need a lawyer?

It is highly recommended that you get a lawyer if you can, especially if the other parent has one.  If you cannot afford a lawyer, you may want to contact Kansas Legal Services at 1-800-723-6953. They may be able to offer you legal advice and /or representation by an attorney at little or no cost.  To get an attorney through Kansas Legal Services, you generally must show that you income is below a certain level.  Another place to find free or low-cost legal help is on our KS Finding a Lawyer page.

Courts generally are unable to help with the process of filing for custody.  A lawyer will most likely need to help you through the process.  Even if you plan on representing yourself, you should consider having a lawyer review your papers before you file them.

If you are going to be in court without a lawyer, our Preparing for Court – By Yourself section may be useful to you.

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.