WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Kansas


Laws current as of November 15, 2023

I am the child's grandparent or step-parent. Can I get visitation?

If you are the child’s grandparent or step-parent, you may be given visitation rights.1 The law does not elaborate on what factors will be considered when deciding whether to grant a step-parent visitation. The law does explain, however, that grandparents may get reasonable visitation if the judge believes that a substantial relationship between the child and the grandparent has been established and the visitation rights would be in the child’s best interests.2 If the grandparent’s child dies, that doesn’t affect the grandparent’s right to seek visitation. The grandparent can get visitation even if the surviving parent remarries and his/her new spouse adopts the child.3

1 Kan. Stat. § 23-3301(a)
2 Kan. Stat. § 23-3301(b)
3 Kan. Stat. § 23-3301(c)