WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Kansas


Laws current as of
November 15, 2023

Is there a fee to file for custody?

You can file for child custody as part of a divorce, protection order, or “parentage” action. A parentage action would be filed if your child was born out of wedlock and you or the other parent are seeking to legally establish who the child’s father is.

If you are filing for custody as part of a divorce or parentage action, there will be a fee. You will need to contact the clerk of court to find out what it costs to file. However, if you cannot afford to pay the fee, you might be able to qualify for a waiver of the fee by filling out a poverty affidavit in court.1

1 Kan. Stat. § 60-2001(b)