Legal Information: Wyoming

Restraining Orders

View all
December 23, 2016

I was granted temporary custody with my order of protection. Can I take my kids out of the state?

Maybe.  It will depend on the exact wording of the custody provision in your order of protection. You may have to first seek the permission of the court before leaving.  If the abuser was granted visitation rights with your children, then you may have to have the order changed, or show the court that there is a fair and realistic alternative to the current visitation schedule.

To read more about custody laws in Wyoming, go to our WY Custody Info page.

If you are unsure about whether or not you can take your kids out of the state, it is important to talk to a domestic violence advocate or lawyer who understands domestic violence and custody laws, and can help you make the safest decision for you and your children.  You can find contact information for local domestic violence organizations and legal assistance in the Wyoming area on our WY Advocates and Shelters page.