Who is eligible for a domestic violence order of protection?
Someone who is abused by a "household member" may apply for an order. A household member is defined as:
- your husband or wife;
- your ex-husband or ex-wife;
- someone you live or have lived with (as if you were married);
- your parent;
- your "adult child" (which means the child is age 16 or over or legally married);
- other adults that you live with ("adult" means age 16 or over or legally married);
- someone with whom you have a child in common; or
- someone you are dating or dated in the past.*
Note: If you are under 16 years old and need an order of protection, your parent can file on your behalf.
If you do not qualify for a domestic violence order of protection, you may qualify for an order of protection against stalking or sexual assault.
* Wyoming Code § 35-21-102(a)(i),(iv)