Even if you do not qualify for an order of protection, the abuser may have committed a crime. If you call the police, they may arrest him/her for a crime and you may get a restraining order through the criminal court. Remember that even if you do have an order of protection, you can still report him/her to the police if you believe s/he committed a crime against you.
If the abuser has mis-used technology in a way that you believe may be a crime, go to our Abuse Using Technology section to learn what types of behaviors are covered under criminal state laws.
Here is a list of some possible crimes in Wyoming that the abuser may have committed. You can click on the links to read the legal definition of each crime on our State Statutes page:
- Interference with custody
- Violation of order of protection
- Domestic battery
- Domestic assault
- Aggravated assault and battery
- Strangulation of a household member
- Sexual assault (in the 1st degree, 2nd degree or 3rd degree)
- Sexual abuse of a minor (in the 1st degree, 2nd degree, 3rd degree or 4th degree)
- Soliciting to engage in illicit sexual relations
- Terroristic threats
- Reckless endangerment
- Unauthorized use of personal identifying information
- Unlawful impersonation through electronic means
The Wyoming Office of the Attorney General Division of Victim Services, provides information on victims' rights and services. You can also call them at (307) 777-7200.
For information on victims' compensation in Wyoming, visit the Division of Victim Services website, or contact them by telephone at (307) 777-7200.
You may learn more about crimes by calling your local police department, sheriff's department, or district attorney's office. See our WY Sheriff Departments page for the contact information for your local sheriff's department.
If you are a victim of domestic violence and have been charged with a crime, you can go to our Battered Women Charged with Crimes page.
Other organizations for victims of crime are listed on our National Organizations - Crime Victims page.