WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Vermont

Restraining Orders

View all
December 13, 2019

How do I get my relief from abuse order enforced in another state?

Federal law does not require you to take any special steps to get your relief from abuse order enforced in another state.

Many states do have laws or regulations (rules) about registering or filing of out-of-state orders, which can make enforcement easier, but a valid relief from abuse order is enforceable regardless of whether it has been registered or filed in the new state.1  Rules differ from state to state, so it may be helpful to find out what the rules are in your new state.  You can contact a local domestic violence organization for more information by visiting our Advocates and Shelters page and entering your new state in the drop-down menu.

Note: In Vermont, the court administrator is required to prepare a form that will make it easier for courts in other states to enforce a Vermont relief from abuse order.  Local domestic violence organizations should also have relief from abuse order envelopes that you can put your order in to make enforcement easier.

Note: It is important to keep a copy of your restraining order with you at all times.  It is also a good idea to know the rules of states you will be living in or visiting to ensure that your out-of-state order can be enforced in a timely manner.

1 18 U.S.C. § 2265(d)(2)