WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Vermont

Restraining Orders

View all
December 13, 2019

How do I register my protection order in Vermont?

You can register your protection order in any family court by filing a certified copy of the order with the court.  The court will make you swear under oath in an affidavit (a written statement) that to the best of your knowledge the order is presently in effect as written.

You may also bring a copy of the order (it does not have to be a certified copy) to the law enforcement department in your area.  The law enforcement officer may ask you to swear under oath or in writing that the order is still in effect.  The law enforcement officer will then enter the order into the law enforcement database, if s/he believes it to be a valid copy.

You do not need a lawyer to register your protection order.  If you are confused or worried about the process, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Vermont to ask for help from a local advocate.  To find a local domestic violence organization in Vermont, please go to our VT Advocates and Shelters page.