90. Declaration of purpose
(a) The general purposes of this chapter are to:
(1) Assure victims of domestic violence the maximum protection from abuse that the law can provide;
(2) Create a flexible and speedy remedy to discourage violence and harassment against family members or others with whom the perpetrator has continuing contact;
(3) Expand the ability of the U.S. Virgin Islands Police Department and law enforcement officers to assist victims, to enforce the law effectively in cases of domestic violence, and to prevent further incidents of abuse;
(4) Develop a greater understanding within the United States Virgin Islands community of the incidences and causes of domestic violence through data collection;
(5) Facilitate equal enforcement of the criminal laws of the Territory by deterring and punishing violence against family members and others who are personally involved with the offenders; and
(6) Recognize that battering is a serious crime which will no longer be excused or tolerated.
(b) This chapter shall be liberally construed to promote the general purpose stated in this section.