WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Texas

Restraining Orders

View all
November 5, 2020

Do I need to tell the court in Texas if I move?

If your contact information in your protective order is not confidential, you may file a notification of change of contact information (may be called a “change of address” form) to modify the order. If you file this notification, the court will send a copy to the respondent.1 The clerk of court may need your new address to contact you if there is any change - for example, if the abuser asks a judge to dismiss the order or if your order is changed in any way. However, if you do not want the abuser to know your new address, you may want to tell the clerk that the address is confidential and ask what steps you have to take to keep it hidden from the abuser.

1 See Tex. Fam. Code § 87.004