Legal Information: New York


April 20, 2017

Will my children's last name change after I get a divorce?

Divorce proceedings alone will not change your children’s last name. If you want to change their last name, you will have to file for their name change separately in court. Generally, if you want to change your children’s name, the other parent must be notified and has the right to object. For information in New York State about name changes, you can check out the Legal Assistance of Western New York website. 

It is possible, however, for you to have your name changed back to your pre-marriage name through divorce proceedings.