WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: New Mexico

Restraining Orders

View all
February 28, 2020

Step 1: Go to court and request an application.

Go to the district court in your area. You can find a court near you by going to our Courthouse Locations page.  Find the civil court clerk and request a petition for a permanent protection order, and also tell the clerk that you want a temporary order. Usually you apply for these at the same time. You can find links to petitions online by going to Download Court Forms.