WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: New Mexico

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of May 16, 2024

Can I get someone to help me? Do I need a lawyer?

You do not need a lawyer to get your DVPO enforced in another state.

However, you may want to get help from a local domestic violence advocate or lawyer in the state that you move to.  A domestic violence advocate or lawyer can let you know what the advantages and disadvantages are for registering your DVPO, and help you through the process if you decide to do so.

To find a domestic violence advocate or an a lawyer in the state you are moving to, select your state from the Places that Help tab on the top of this page and click Finding a Lawyer and Advocates and Shelters.