WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: New Mexico

Restraining Orders

View all
January 5, 2024

How do I change or extend the permanent order?

To amend your protection order, either party can request a court hearing to ask for an amendment (change).1

Protection orders that grant support or custody of a child can last for up to six months. You can then request that the order be extended for an additional six months. The judge can extend if if s/he believes there is “good cause” to do so. Other permanent orders (injunctive orders) will continue until such time that one party asks for a modification or cancellation of the order2 and so they may not need to be extended.

1 N.M.S.A. § 40-13-5(F)
2 N.M.S.A. § 40-13-6(C)