Legal Information: New Mexico

Restraining Orders

View all
April 28, 2016

Civil Restraining Orders (for harassment or other harm)

Victims of harassment or other harmful acts/crimes can apply for a civil restraining order (also called an injunction). The victim must prove that s/he is likely to suffer irreparable harm if the court does not order the other person to stop the behavior and stay away.  However, who can qualify and what relief is available may be different depending on the judicial district in which you live.  Also, unlike a domestic violence protection order, there is a filing fee to get a civil restraining order (even if you are a victim of domestic violence) and the order will not affect the defendant's right to possess a firearm under the federal firearm laws.

Below, we are including the information that is available online in a variety of judicial districts.  If you don't see your district, you can contact an attorney (see our NM Finding a Lawyer page) or contact the district court where you live (see our NM Courthouse Locations page).