Legal Information: North Dakota


December 17, 2015

Can I change the state where the case is being heard?

Maybe. If you move to another state, you may be able to change the state where the custody case is being heard.  Once you and your child have been living in a new state for 6 consecutive months, then the new state may be able to hear your case.  If you have been in the new state for less than 6 months, then you will probably have to ask the judge that is hearing the case to change the jurisdiction of your case. Many times, the state that heard your original case may keep jurisdiction, or the power to hear your case. This is often complicated, and as with all custody issues, we recommend that you talk to a lawyer about this.

To find legal resources in ND, go to our ND Finding a Lawyer page.

To find legal resources in a state other than ND, select that state from the Places that Help tab on the top of this page and then click on Finding a Lawyer.