WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: North Carolina

Child Support

View all
Laws current as of December 22, 2023

Can a child support order be changed or even stopped after the court orders it?

If either party can prove that there has been a change in circumstances since the order was issued, it’s possible that the order may be changed by a judge.1  Even if the order was issued in another state, if the court in North Carolina gets power (jurisrdiction) over the case, the judge can enter a new order for support which changes the other state’s order.2  To find out how a court in North Carolina can get jurisdiction over your order from another state, please talk to a lawyer.  For free and paid legal referrals, go to our NC Finding a Lawyer page.

1 NCGS § 50-13.7(a)
2 NCGS § 50-13.7(b)

What does a “change in circumstances” mean?

A change in circumstances means a change in the child’s situation that affects the welfare of the child;1 in other words, does the child need more or less money to be properly supported?  Possible examples may include situations where the child needs special help with tutoring or the child have a special talent and takes lessons. There are a lot of reasons that a child might need more or less support over time. You might want to talk about your case with your local child support enforcement agency or with a lawyer.

1 See NCGS § 50-13.7

Can a child support order from another state be modified in North Carolina?

Sometimes, but only under certain conditions, which are found in section 52C-6-611 of the law on our Selected North Carolina Statutes page.  The legal requirements are complex, however, and you may want to talk to an attorney who can advise you as to whether or not you can modify the order based on the facts of your case.