Legal Information: North Carolina

Child Support

View all
February 14, 2022

If I care for a child who is not biologically mine and s/he has a baby, am I responsible to help support the baby?

Possibly. Any person, agency, organization or institution that stands in loco parentis (“in place of a parent”) of a minor unemancipated child who has a baby may be secondarily liable for the support of the minor child if the judge orders this (after considering many factors). The minor parent(s), however, still have a duty to support their child.1

1 NCGS § 50-13.4(b)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.