WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Maryland

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 27, 2023

Can I file for a peace order against a minor?

You can file for a peace order against a minor, but you will go through a different process. To file against a minor respondent, you first go to the Department of Juvenile Services, which is usually an office in the courthouse. You may need to ask the court clerk where the Department of Juvenile Services is located within the court.

You will use the same peace order forms. The Department of Juvenile Services will review your petition before a case can be started against a minor. If your petition is accepted, then the case will proceed regularly, but it will not be available in public records.1

1 MD Code Ann., Cts. & Jud. Proc. § 3-8A-10(c), (d)