WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Kentucky

Statutes: Kentucky

View all
November 15, 2023

403.320 Visitation of minor child; military deployment of parent or custodian; visitation rights of custodial relatives following termination of parental rights of others

(1) A parent not granted custody of the child and not awarded shared parenting time under the presumption specified in KRS 403.270(2), 403.280(2), or 403.340(5) is entitled to reasonable visitation rights unless the court finds, after a hearing, that visitation would endanger seriously the child’s physical, mental, moral, or emotional health. Upon request of either party, the court shall issue orders which are specific as to the frequency, timing, duration, conditions, and method of scheduling visitation and which reflect the development age of the child.

(2) If domestic violence and abuse, as defined in KRS 403.720, has been alleged, the court shall, after a hearing, determine the visitation arrangement, if any, which would not endanger seriously the child’s or the custodial parent’s physical, mental, or emotional health.

(3) The court may modify an order granting or denying visitation rights whenever modification would serve the best interests of the child; but the court shall not restrict a parent’s visitation rights unless it finds that the visitation would endanger seriously the child’s physical, mental, moral, or emotional health.(4) Under circumstances where the court finds, by clear and convincing evidence, it is in the best interest of the child, any relative, by blood or affinity, that was previously granted temporary custody pursuant to the provisions of KRS 620.090 may be granted reasonable noncustodial parental visitation rights by a Circuit Court or Family Court as an intervenor or by original action. Once the relative has been granted visitation pursuant to this subsection, those rights shall not be adversely affected by the termination of custodial or parental rights of an individual who has permanent custody of the child unless the court determines that termination of the visitation rights are in the best interests of the child. The action shall be brought in the county in which the temporary or permanent custody order was entered or where the child resides.