35-43-5-3.5. Identity deception
(a) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person who knowingly or intentionally obtains, possesses, transfers, or uses the identifying information of another person, including the identifying information of a person who is deceased:
(1) without the other person’s consent; and
(2) with intent to:
(A) harm or defraud another person;
(B) assume another person’s identity; or
(C) profess to be another person;
commits identity deception, a Level 6 felony.
(b) However, the offense defined in subsection (a) is a Level 5 felony if:
(1) a person obtains, possesses, transfers, or uses the identifying information of more than one hundred (100) persons;
(2) the fair market value of the fraud or harm caused by the offense is at least fifty thousand dollars ($50,000); or
(3) a person obtains, possesses, transfers, or uses the identifying information of a person who is less than eighteen (18) years of age and is:
(A) the person’s son or daughter;
(B) a dependent of the person;
(C) a ward of the person; or
(D) an individual for whom the person is a guardian.
(c) The conduct prohibited in subsections (a) and (b) does not apply to:
(1) a person less than twenty-one (21) years of age who uses the identifying information of another person to acquire an alcoholic beverage (as defined in IC 7.1-1-3-5);
(2) a minor (as defined in IC 35-49-1-4) who uses the identifying information of another person to acquire:
(A) a cigarette, an electronic cigarette (as defined in IC 35-46-1-1.5), or a tobacco product (as defined in IC 6-7-2-5);
(B) a periodical, a videotape, or other communication medium that contains or depicts nudity (as defined in IC 35-49-1-5);
(C) admittance to a performance (live or film) that prohibits the attendance of the minor based on age; or
(D) an item that is prohibited by law for use or consumption by a minor; or
(3) any person who uses the identifying information for a lawful purpose.
(d) It is not a defense in a prosecution under subsection (a) or (b) that no person was harmed or defrauded.