Legal Information: Florida


View all
June 18, 2021

If the other parent fails to pay the child support that the court ordered, can I refuse to honor his/her visitation (time- sharing) rights?

No, you cannot refuse to honor the other parent’s visitation (time-sharing) rights because s/he failed to pay the child support that the court ordered. If you refuse to honor the time sharing in the order, the court can order extra time to the other parent to make up for the lost visitation time. In addition, the court could punish you in the following ways:

  • ordering you to pay the costs and attorney fees that the father spent to enforce the time sharing schedule;
  • order you to take a parenting course, order you to perform community service;
  • modify (change) the parenting plan (which could mean giving sole responsibility to the father or changing the primary residence of the child) if it is in the best interests of the child to do so; and/or
  • order any other reasonable sanction (punishment) that the judge sees fit.1

1 Fla. Stat. § 61.13(4)

WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.