WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Florida


View all
Laws current as of
October 6, 2023

I want to relocate with my child and the other parent agrees. What do I do?

If the other parent agrees to the relocation, you can draw up a written, signed agreement with the other parent (and with anyone who has access to or a time-sharing schedule for the child) that:

  • allows the child to move with you;
  • lays out the access or time-sharing schedule for the non-relocating parent and anyone else entitled to access or time-sharing; and
  • describes, if necessary, any transportation arrangements related to the access or time-sharing.

Then, you can file this in court and ask that it be “ratified” (approved) by the judge without having a hearing on the issue. Although, after you file it, the other parent has 10 days to request a hearing in writing. If no request is made within 10 days, the order will be assumed to be in the child’s best interests and the judge will ratify it so that it becomes an enforceable court order.1

1 Fla. Stat. § 61.13001(2)