WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Federal

Domestic Violence in the Military

View all
Laws current as of June 21, 2024

What can I do if the abuser violates the MPO?

If the abuser violates the military protective order (MPO) while s/he is on the installation, you can call the military police at the Installation Law Enforcement Office. Installation Law Enforcement will then notify the Service member’s commander. 

If you are off the installation and you are in danger, you can call 911 to reach the civilian police. Although the civilian police cannot enforce the MPO, they can arrest the abuser if a crime is committed under the state’s penal law. You can also ask the civilian police to contact Installation Law Enforcement regarding the violation of the MPO.

You may also want to contact your Family Advocacy Program (FAP) victim advocate to report the violation of the MPO, as this may suggest that the level of risk for further abuse has increased.

It is important to also consider getting a civil protection order if you are concerned for your safety.

A violation of an MPO, on or off the installation, is disobedience of a direct order, which is a serious offense within the military. The abuser can be prosecuted under Article 92, Failure to Obey Order or Regulation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Depending on a number of factors, a violation of an MPO may result in non-judicial punishment, court-martial proceedings, or other disciplinary measures.1

For information on what happens if the Service member violates the MPO off of the installation, go to Are MPOs and civil protection orders (CPOs) valid wherever I go?

1 See Department of Defense Instruction, Number 6400.06