Legal Information: Federal

Domestic Violence in the Military

View all
October 9, 2019

Who is I eligible to get a military protective order (MPO)?

You can file to request an MPO against an active duty member of the military who you believe has harmed you or your children and who is:

  • your spouse or ex-spouse;
  • your current or former intimate partner if you live(d) together; or
  • someone with whom you have a child in common.

An MPO will be ordered if the commander agrees to it.1

1 See Department of Defense Instruction, Number 6400.06, Incorporating Change 4, May 26, 2017

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.