WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Federal

Domestic Violence in the Military

View all
Laws current as of June 21, 2024

What can I do if I am not granted an MPO?

Usually, commanders will issue a military protective order (MPO) if the Family Advocacy Program (FAP) recommends it as part of its safety and risk assessment. However, if you are not granted an MPO, you may still be eligible for a civil protection order issued by the civil court in the state where you live. It may also be possible to escalate your request for an MPO up the chain of command, starting with the commander’s immediate superior in command (ISIC).

Visit our Restraining Orders page to find out if you may be eligible for a civil protection order.