WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: California

Workplace Protections

April 2, 2020

My employer has done something illegal under this law. What can I do?

Your employer cannot fire you, threaten to fire you, demote you, suspend you, discriminate against you in any other way, or retaliate against you because you:

  • take time off of work to try to get protections to help ensure your safety;
  • are a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking; or
  • requested reasonable accommodations.

If your employer does any of the above prohibited actions, you will be entitled to get your job back and be reimbursed for any lost wages or work benefits because of your employer’s actions.1 You are also entitled to seek any other equitable relief you are entitled to2 (such as other money damages in civil court). If your employer refuses to rehire you, promote you, or restore you to your employment after it has been determined that you are eligible for relief through a hearing or grievance procedure, that employer may be guilty of a misdemeanor.3 If your employer has done any prohibited action, you can file a complaint with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement of the Department of Industrial Relations for up to one year after the violation.4

1 Cal.Labor Code § 230(g)(1)
2 Cal.Labor Code § 230(g)(2)
3 Cal.Labor Code § 230(g)(3)
4 Cal.Labor Code § 230(h)(1)