WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: California

Workplace Protections

Laws current as of January 11, 2024

How much notice do I need to give my employer if I need to take time off from work to deal with domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking?

You must tell your employer ahead of time if you need time off from work to deal with a crime or abuse against you or your children unless it is impossible to do so. California law does not say exactly how many days in advance you need to tell your employer – just that you must give “reasonable advance notice.”1 However, it is wise to tell your employer as early as possible.

If there is an emergency because of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking and you cannot give advance notice, your employer cannot fire you or punish you for taking an “unscheduled absence” (sudden time off from work). However, within a reasonable amount of time after your absence, you have to give your employer proof that that you were absent because of a crime or abuse.2 For examples of what types of proof you can give, see Do I need to give my employer any documentation (proof in writing) if I take time off from work?

Note: It might be a good idea to ask your employer in writing for the time off to deal with issues related to being the victim of a crime or abuse and to keep a copy of the letter. This way, if the employer denies you the time off, you have some proof that you asked for it in case you decide to bring legal action against the employer for violating the law.

1 Cal.Labor Code §§ 230.1(b)(1); 230(d)(1)
2 Cal.Labor Code §§ 230.1(b)(2); 230(d)(2)