WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: California

Housing Laws

View all
April 2, 2020

Who is considered a qualified third party? What type of documentation do I need from a qualified third party?

A qualified third party is a:

  • health practitioner;
  • domestic violence counselor;
  • sexual assault counselor; or
  • human trafficking caseoworker.1

If a qualified third party is providing you with documentation to show your landlord, the third party should include information showing that you are getting or asking for help for physical or mental injuries or abuse resulting from an act of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, human trafficking, elder abuse, or dependent adult abuse. The law includes a template that the third party can use when creating a document for you.2

1 Cal.Civ.Code § 1161.3(e)(3)
2 Cal.Civ.Code § 1161.3(a)(1)(B), (a)(1)(D)