Legal Information: California

Housing Laws

February 16, 2022

What documentation do I need to show my landlord to prove that I am a victim of abuse?

You can use any of the following documentation as proof that you or a member of your household are a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, human trafficking, or abuse of an elder or dependent adult:

  • a temporary restraining order, emergency protective order, or protective order for domestic violence, civil harassment, or elder or dependent adult abuse that was issued during the last 180 days that protects you or your household member from abuse;
  • a copy of a written report issued within the past 180 days from a peace officer working in his/her official capacity for a state or local law enforcement agency that says that you or a member of your household are a victim of abuse; or
  • documentation from a “qualified third party” working in his/her professional capacity that states that you or a household member is looking for help for physical or mental injuries that resulted from an act of abuse.1

1 Cal.Civ.Code § 1161.3(a)(1)(A), (a)(1)(B), (a)(1)(C)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.