Legal Information: Arkansas


February 12, 2020

Who can get custody?

Generally, at least one of the child’s parents is entitled to custody, unless there is strong evidence that both parents are unfit or unless one of the situations described in the following questions apply.

If both parents have passed away or they are unfit, the judge can give custody to another person or to an agency, such as the Department of Human Services.  What the judge will decide depends on what s/he believes is in the best interest of the child.

Grandparents may also be entitled to custody.  See I am the child’s grandparent. Can I get custody?

Can a parent who committed violence get custody or visitation?

Sometimes. Custody or visitation by an abusive parent may be allowed, but only if the judge believes that you and your children can stay safe. To help keep you safe, the judge can order supervised visits or for the pick-up and drop-off of your children to happen in a protected place. The judge may also order the parent to attend counseling and not use or have alcohol and other drugs.

If the judge does not believe that you or your children are still in danger, the judge may order custody or visitation without any measures to protect you or your child. Therefore, it is important that the judge believes you when you talk about the violence. You may want to keep evidence of the violence ready, if you have it.

if you feel there is still a risk of violence, you can ask the judge:

1) for pick-up and drop-off of your children to happen in a protected place,
2) to permit someone other than you to take or pick up the children for visits, and
3) to order only email contact between the parents or messages left on an answering service.

If my child was conceived from rape, can the rapist get custody or visitation?

If you have conceived a child from being raped, and the man is convicted in criminal court of raping you, all of his rights to custody, visitation, or other contact with the child are terminated immediately upon being convicted for the rape in which the child was conceived.1 However, the rapist can still be ordered to pay child support (and the child may still be able to inherit from his estate upon his death).2

Note: The biological mother of a child conceived as a result of rape may petition the court to reinstate the rapist’s parental rights if she chooses.3

1 A.C.A. § 9-10-121(a)
2 A.C.A. § 9-10-121(c),(d)
3 A.C.A. § 9-10-121(b)

I am the child’s grandparent. Can I get custody?

It depends. You will have an opportunity to file for custody and be heard in any child custody proceeding involving your grandchild if you are the primary caregiver and financial supporter of your grandchild and it is in the child’s best interest to be in your legal custody.

Even though you may have the right to file for custody, a judge may or may not give it to you. A judge will look at many factors to try to decide if giving you custody is in the child’s best interest.

Can a sex offender get custody or visitation?

The judge cannot award custody or unsupervised visitation to a sex offender unless the judge specifically determines that the sex offender poses no danger to the child. The judge is supposed to assume (although the other parent can try to convince the judge otherwise) that it is not in the best interest of the child to be in the care or custody of a sex offender, to have unsupervised visitation with a sex offender, to be placed in the home where a sex offender lives, or to have unsupervised visitation in a home in which a sex offender lives.1

1 A.C.A. § 9-13-101(d)

When can a grandparent or great-grandparent petition for visitation?

A grandparent or great-grandparent can file a petition for visitation if any of the following are true:

  • the parents have divorced, or separated, or one of the parents has died;
  • the child was born to an unmarried mother (only a maternal grandparent can file a petition unless paternity has been established);
  • the judge finds by “clear and convincing evidence” that the primary custodian of the child is unfit; or
  • the judge finds by “clear and convincing evidence” that there are important (compelling) circumstances in favor of grandparent visitation. When making that decision, the judge can consider any of the following factors:
    • the love, affection, and other emotional ties between the grandparent and child;
    • the length and quality of the relationship between the grandparent and child;
    • the mental and physical health of the grandparent, the parent, and the child;
    • any positive and negative effects of visitation being granted or denied;
    • the wishes of the child;
    • the reason the parent denied visitation;
    • the reason the grandparent is asking for visitation;
    • any history of abuse, neglect, or domestic violence;
    • whether the parental rights of the parent to which the grandparents are related have been terminated; and
    • other factors that impact the best interest of the child.1

1 A.C.A. § 9-13-103 (b)

What does a grandparent or great-grandparent have to prove to get visitation?

For a court to award visitation to a grandparent or great-grandparent, the grandparent has to prove that s/he has established a “significant and viable relationship” with the child and that visitation would be in the child’s best interest.1

To establish a “significant and viable relationship” with the child, the grandparent or great-grandparent must prove any of the following:

  • the child lived with the grandparent for at least six months in a row, without the child’s parent living there too;
  • the grandparent was the primary caregiver to the child for six months in a row;
  • the grandparent has had regular contact with the child for at least 12 months in a row; or
  • any other facts that show that the loss of the relationship between the grandparent and the child is likely to harm the child.2

To establish that visitation is in the best interest of the child, the grandparent or great-grandparent has to show that all of the following are true:

  • s/he can give the child love, affection, emotional support, and guidance;
  • the grandparent is willing to cooperate with the custodial parent or other guardian;
  • awarding visitation would not interfere with the parent-child relationship; and
  • the loss of the relationship between the grandparent and child is likely to:
    • harm the child;
    • cause emotional distress to the child;
    • result in the emotional abuse of the child; or
    • result in the emotional neglect of the child.3

1 A.C.A. § 9-13-103(c)
2 A.C.A. § 9-13-103(d)
3 A.C.A. § 9-13-103(e)

I can’t see my brother or sister. Can I file for visitation?

Yes. If you’re not currently allowed to see your brother or sister (regardless of whether s/he is your full sibling), you can ask the court for visitation.1

1 A.C.A. § 9-13-102

WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.