WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Arkansas


View all
Laws current as of January 3, 2024

In which state do I file for custody?

You can usually only file for custody in Arkansas if Arkansas is your child’s “home state.” Please see Are there any exceptions to the home state rule? for a list of exceptions.

Arkansas is your child’s “home state” if:

  • your child has lived in Arkansas for the last 6 months in a row or longer, or
  • Arkansas was the last state that your child lived in for at least 6 months in a row or longer, or
  • your child is less than six months old but has lived in Arkansas since birth .

Leaving Arkansas for a short period of time will not change its status as your child’s home state.