WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Alabama


September 1, 2023

Can I get temporary custody as a part of a protection from abuse order?

If you get a protection from abuse (“PFA”) order, the judge can give you temporary custody of your children and can set up visitation for the other parent, either supervised or unsupervised.1 Be sure to tell the judge that you want custody during your protection order hearing so that the judge can take your request into consideration. However, custody and visitation orders that are granted in a PFA order expire when the order expires. For more information on PFA orders and how to get one, go to our Protection from Abuse Orders page.

1 Alabama Code § 30-5-7