WomensLaw no es solamente para mujeres. Servimos y apoyamos a todos/as los/as sobrevivientes no importa su sexo o género.

Información Legal: Carolina del Sur

Restraining Orders

Ver Todo
8 de diciembre de 2020

Can I have my out-of-state order of protection changed, extended, or canceled in SC?

No.  Only the state that issued your order of protection can change, extend, or cancel the order.  You cannot have this done by a court in South Carolina.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued.  You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living.  To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in South Carolina, you may be able to get a new one issued in South Carolina but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in South Carolina.  To find out more information on how to get a protective order in South Carolina, visit our SC Places that Help page.