WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: U.S. Virgin Islands

Restraining Orders

View all
December 7, 2020

Do I need anything special to get my restraining order enforced in another state?

In some states, you will need a certified copy of your domestic violence restraining order. A certified copy says that it is a “true and correct” copy.

The copy you originally received may be a certified copy. If your copy is not a certified copy or if you are not sure, you can call or go to the court that gave you the order and ask the clerk’s office for a certified copy. There may be a fee to get a certified copy of a U.S. Virgin Islands domestic violence restraining order.

Note: It may be a good idea to keep a copy of the order with you at all times. You may also want to bring several copies of the order with you when you move to leave at your work place, at your home, at the children’s school or daycare, in your car, with a sympathetic neighbor, and so on. You may also want to give a copy to the security guard or person at the front desk where you live and/or work along with a photo of the abuser and to anyone who is named in and protected by the order.