Legal Information: U.S. Virgin Islands

Restraining Orders

View all
December 7, 2020

Where can I file for a protective order?

You can file for a protective order in the judicial division where you live (permanently or temporarily), where the abuser lives, or where the abuse occurred.1  If you are unsure how to figure out the boundaries of a judicial division, you may want to contact an attorney who is familiar with the local laws.  Please see our VI Finding a Lawyer page for more information.  Also, if you have left your home and want to keep the address where you are staying confidential, filing in that judicial division may not be a good idea since it could alert the abuser to the fact that you are staying in that area.

1 VI ST T. 16 § 96(a)

WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.